Via Hornsby Shire Council:
Hornsby Shire Council’s campaign to beautify Hornsby continues, with plans taking shape for a new mural in Dural Lane.
The mural will transform the blank wall into a street scene that would have been found in Hornsby early in the 20th Century.
“This is all about enlivening Hornsby and making it a better place to visit,” Hornsby Shire Mayor Steve Russell said.
“We want to remind everybody of the days when Ginger Meggs was growing up in Hornsby.”
Mayor Russell chose this concept for the mural when he was in France and walked past a doorway without realising it was actually a mural.
“I showed the fantastic murals of Lyons to our staff and all agreed we could do something similar here,” Mayor Russell said.
A firm timeline for the mural has not been established, but it is expected to be carried out over the next couple of months.
Ginger Meggs has been added to the mural as a tribute to his creator, Jimmy Bancks, who grew up in Hornsby and used this area as the inspiration for his iconic cartoons.
Ginger Meggs himself was based on a local boy who grew up to be mayor of Hornsby Shire. And no, it wasn’t Steve Russell. It was Charles Somerville who was mayor for two separate terms between 1936 and 1953.
TL;DR: Like Instagram, but comics!
InstaMeggs is a kid-safe, free new mobile-designed site just for viewing the Ginger Meggs comic strips on your phone.
From a very young age, kids know to scroll down on a phone to see pictures and games. Scrolling with the thumb is intuitive! We scroll down to read our Instagram feed, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest- and read websites! Why not comics?
You can read the newest Ginger Meggs strips every day in your local paper. If they don’t run it, write your editor a letter asking him to put him in! Otherwise check out GoComics.com/gingermeggs.
InstaMeggs is designed for all mobile devices including devices running both Android and all versions of iOS. To read the ‘graffiti’ you may need to turn off Orientation Lock.
Not a cent! Instameggs is here for your reading pleasure, 100% free. (No ads!)
“I LOVE this idea. So Smart!”
~ Matt Saraceni
Head of Content, OMNY iPhone App
~ Phil Judd
“iMeggsie finally puts the classic art of the comic strip into a user friendly format on our devices. Scrollable sequential art, it’s about time!”
Cartoonist who spend too much time avoiding work on his phone.
Like what we’ve done with the place? We think you will. After all, so many of the changes are based on your invaluable feedback from the beta release in October. You told us what you liked, what you less-than-liked, and what you’d like us to consider in future updates. Over the course of the past few months, we rolled out a number of updates to address these issues and more.
If you didn’t get a chance to check out the beta, here’s a list of the key changes to GC.
– The GoComics interface — both desktop and mobile — is completely redesigned with an emphasis on navigation, exploration and discoverability. We worked to make it as easy as possible to find, read and share comics you love.
– Comics are bigger and easier to read.
– Migration is seamless. If you have a free account or a premium account, just sign in and enjoy your comics as usual.
– Search just works. Type in a comic title, keyword or tag and our robot brain will take you to the comics you’re looking for.
– Recommendations are smart and unobtrusive. They help you discover great comics without distracting from what you’re already enjoying or bothering you with stuff you don’t want to see.
– And look! Our new GoComics store is open! Stocked with books, comic collections, calendars and comic prints, the new store has what you’re looking for. It’s easy to find what you want, pop it in a shopping cart, and check out.
– Collections are currently in the process of being migrated over to the new site. Your collection data, and all of your favorite collection functionality, is safe and will be back on the site in the not-too-distant future.
-If you use the GoComics mobile app on your iOS or Android device, there may be some performance limitations on launch day. If you experience problems, please enjoy the new mobile version of GoComics.com instead.
We’ll be rolling out even more new features while continuing to improve your experience in the weeks and months to come. We can’t wait to see you every day.
Enjoy the new GoComics!
– The GoComics Team
(from GoComics Blog)
A great metamorphosis is upon us.
Next week, the new GoComics hatches from its beta cocoon, emerging as a beautiful, comics-stuffed butterfly.
If you’ve been following The Adventures of The New GoComics since our October relaunch announcement, you’ve hopefully had a chance to check out the beta version of the site. We’ve implemented numerous updates based on your feedback, and the current beta site is very close to the experience you can expect on Day 1. We invite you to take it for a spin while you can, so you can hit the ground running.
But just as Jurassic Park experienced some… minor hiccups… on opening day, so too will the new GoComics.com. We are, of course, referring to comics collection functionality (not dinosaurs running amok). All of your collection data has been saved and will be migrated to the new GC ASAP, however, it will not be available on launch day. We will keep you posted as soon as we have a proper reactivation date available. Don’t worry, we’re on it.
If you use the GoComics mobile app on your iOS or Android device, there may be some performance limitations on launch day. If you have problems, please enjoy the new mobile version of GoComics.com instead.
We’ll be waiting for you… in the FUTURE!
– The GoComics Team